2009/05/26

02/04-Oberbaumbrucke, Berlin

A revisit to the Oberbaumbrucke turns out to be a highlight of our stay in Berlin.

In 2003 I stayed at a hostel in Kreuzberg. During the stay I crossed the Oberbaum everyday to Friedrichshain to take the S-bahn. Back then, I knew nothing about this double-deck bridge. I simply enjoyed the views, the magnificent structure and the early-morning and late-afternoon shadows of the colonnade.

Six years later, we visit the Oberbaumbrucke as an aftermath to the East Side Gallery. I acknowledge that the Oberbaum is a symbolic landmark that links the former East and West, that the Oberbaum was filmed in Run Lola Run, that Calatrava is the architect who put the modern steel addition in the middle of the bridge, that the Oberbaumbrucke has become my favorite place in Berlin ever since I first visited the city.

No comments: